Monday 29 June 2009

A Birthday Present For Daily Kompas

The posting here was written as a birthday present for the printed daily Kompas. Yesterday was its 44th birthday. Not much older than me, but of course a lot more experienced and wiser than me...

It was also my first posting outside wikimu.com for the local readers. Kompasiana is the part of Kompas.com. Starting only as a blog for Kompas' journalists and invited writer, but later on it is also opening a section called public blog. I found it a bit different as it is in a style of a blog. It is also a bit different than the Kokiers that I've used to visit before.

I can't deny that Kompas has a lot of influence in me, as I was probably started my reading with Kompas. As an outlet of my postings I still prefer wikimu.com because I would like to get more input from readers of other medias. But a present should be presented to the one who celebrate the birthday...

It seems that the headlines for the birthday celebration were a bit sober, and the title of the party is "Ruwatan Pop". Ruwatan is Javanese word for spiritual procession to avoid bad luck or to get away from sorrowful period of life. Why they are performing the "ruwatan"? It could be for the bad economic situation, or to have a successful presidential election. But, it is not odd at all if it is for the sake of printed edition. Kompas is already entering the cyber world, so their existence is not really in the questioning position. Yet, they might be thinking about the printed daily.

I grew up with the print media. While joining the citizen journalism activities, I am still trying to grow reading habit in my kids. If I were using printed Kompas for my reading activities in my childhood, I am hoping that my sons' generation will learn how to speak and to write through the interactive cyber media while keeping to read printed newspapers, magazines, and books as well. I think the printed edition will survive, just like radio keep surviving television.

Today I found the special section "KANDIDAT" reporting about Megawati and Prabowo, tomorrow will be SBY and Boediono, and Wednesday would be JK and Wiranto. I like the psychological character approach towards the candidates. I am still one of those in the big crowd who doesn't know who should I choose while it is already 9 days to go...So for me this is the goodie bag of Kompas' birthday party...

1 comment:

krismariana widyaningsih said...

I'm happy to see your article can be found in Kompasiana :) Your writing is nice to read and I think I need learn a lot to write from u.