Saturday 10 May 2008

What is difficult for a citizen reporter?

I've got to say that time management is the most difficult task for me. There are a lot of issues that I'd like to write about but I did not have enough time and energy for that. There is another real life to attend to...

I don't want to say that cyber world is not real, but being a citizen reporter is not helping out to pay our expenses in the real world. Being attached to the process of writing can also take a lot of my time and attention. Just imagine an artist who can not stop painting...and a citizen reporter who would like to continue writing...

Each day there are interesting issues to cover, interesting news to type on...

But the most difficult aspect of being a citizen reporter in the internet is my own feeling and commitment. If a mainstream media journalist interviews people and the article was never show up, there would be some excuses...the editor rejected it or there is no room in the newspaper/magazine. But in the internet? There are plenty of rooms...no editor for one's own blog except the owner's self. Yet, sometimes the sparkling spirit is not there...

I still owe an article to mas Irwan from Yayasan Mitranetra. I'd like to write an article about his poetry anthology book, the first poetry book by visually impaired person from Indonesia. Just in the middle of my writing I could not continue as I knew I would not want to cover him only because he's got the visual problem, but because of the value of his work.

Sometimes writing is very easy...words came in or poured into my mind (the black box thinker) just like the corn popping out inside the machine. But there are times when I do care and would not slip a word....then the words are hiding...nowhere to find!

And this is the hardest part of being a citizen reporter...not producing a word after the interview...

No comments: