Tuesday 30 December 2008

Stepping Into 2009 (1); memory of friendship

The year 2008 is going to say goodbye, and we are going to step into 2009. Even today is already a new year for my fellow Moslems,the 1430 H.

I'm still looking for the amazing internet to find my old pen-pals. When I was still in High School, I wrote to some foreign friends and some local pen friends. Mireille Fain (France),should be Mireille Siegel now, was the longest in contact...but I lost her contact about some years ago. Others are Nick Tsiotakis from Greece, Barbara Fiaschi from Italy, Zeila C. Facci from Brazil, Magda Majewska from Poland, etc. Thanks to IYS that I've got friends from all over the world (I do need to check names for those from the USA, Germany, and Finland)

Why I write this post? I can't contact a friend whom I met through the internet (Hi John, my e-mails bounced back...how are you?). Then I remember an old friend I've found recently by making a comment in someone's blog. The writer of the blog wrote about her French language teacher; my friend - a Philippine woman, I left a comment asking her whereabout. The blogger never answer, but my friend found that message while googling...amazing! She contacted me and we found each other again.

I'm also curious about what happened to Annie and Leon Pecasse. Last year I did not receive their yearly letter (or perhaps it was already two years?). I knew that Annie's health was already weak, but I did not even heard any news from them. My letter was unanswered, and e-mail bounced back too. The latest news I got from Mr. Google is a newsletter from May 2006.

I've been joining Face Book for some times but without really being busy with that account. Yet, recently my schoolmates from the elementary to the university also joined Face Book (or we've just found each other)...now Face Book is making me addicted! It's so much fun finding out old friends, hear their news...and become the witness of how small the world is (imagine my elementary schoolmate is the husband of a friend from the University...small world isn't it?). Sometimes it is just astonishing to know that people I knew also knew each other. Things that might probably not coming into our daily conversation came out in Face Book. Sometimes time (especially as a full time housewife) is not really free until a little late at night, so the only open schedule for chatting with my neighbour (who is also stuck at home with her "newborn" baby- which is actually about one-year-old now) is through Face Book at night...

The internet is taking me back into the memory of friendship. So, stepping into 2009 I do hope that I'll keep better communication with old friends through the internet...sharing just a couple of words but pertaining the feeling of closeness. Dear readers, I hope I'll be able to continue blogging, and continue being your friend...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful to hear how you found old friends thru the Internet.
It's one of some wonders of the digital networks!

I want to thank you for the 'virtual' friendship you offered in 2008.. I look forward to continuing it in 2009.

Happy New Year.....and happy belated Christmas!

Retty Hakim (a.k.a. Maria Margaretta Vivijanti) said...

Thank you Mer,
Being your "virtual" friend is also my pleasure, from wikimu and OhmyNews some virtual friends are already real friends now...
Yet, being blogger make virtual friendship is easier to maintain than being just a citizen reporter.

Happy New Year...may your days be blessed and happiness fill your life throughout the coming days....