Thursday 4 December 2008

Keadilan bagi Mereka yang Berkemampuan Berbeda

Rabu, 03-12-2008 13:26:43 oleh: Retty N. Hakim
Kanal: Opini

http://www.wikimu.com/News/DisplayNews.aspx?id=11995

I wrote "Justice for those with disabilities" for the International Day of Persons with Disabilities. Indonesia signed the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and its Optional Protocol in UN, but according to the public relation manager of Yayasan Mitranetra, it is not ratified yet.

I was already aware about the lack of facilities for those with disabilities in 1990. I was preparing my final project for my graduation as an architect, and I had to prepare a presentation of an art museum. That time I was mostly focused on those with wheelchairs. It is a sad fact that our newly open wing in the National Museum did not have the access ramp for wheelchairs, and the stairs would also be a real struggle for visually impaired friends.

I think there are a lot of things we should all worked out together, but there are also some important issues that should be on the governments' shoulders. Public transportation and access into education are some example.

As I don't have much time to write lately, I slightly mentioned the environmental design approach as the example of how to make a man-made environment that's comfortable for human being both in aestethic and functional aspects. Urban planners and architects are also responsible to give their voices/suggestions about the facilities for differently able persons.

Writing is also helping me to search for more facts. I gathered the news about the CD selling in Pesta Blogger 2008 (Jakarta). 4.5 million rupiahs or 90 CDs were sold in one day, all donated to Yayasan Mitranetra (Friends for the visually impaired persons).

Media was also giving more attention to the differently-able persons, I hope that they will continue doing it. Writing this article for the citizen journalism website is my way to knock on the professional journalists to dig more into it. Cross my fingers...(as it seems that it is not a popular article).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

terima kasih atas link-nya. Semoga hal tersebut memberi wawasan bagi siapa pun yang membacanya. Blog-nya Bu Retty bagus sekali.. :)