Tuesday 15 December 2009

Citizen journalism is a way to communicate

I always believe that we do need better communication, that is why I joined my voice with bloggers around the world in this cyber world.

East Timor is always an interesting subject for me, that's the reason I wrote Perlukah Film "Balibo Five" Dilarang di Indonesia? for Kompasiana, the corner for citizen journalism in Kompas.com.

I am limiting my browsing time, so I did not read other posts in the same tag of Balibo Five. I was reading an opinion column in the printed Kompas, and feel the need to write my opinion for citizen journalism site. I was including the link of my old writing for OhMyNews International (OMNI), and the link of another Indonesian citizen reporter for OMNI. We do need citizen journalism as a communication tool. That's why I like variety of comments. We shared and get feedback.

Today I browse and found this post in Kompasiana as an interesting piece with lots of information. I did not read it when I uploaded my writing two days after the author uploaded that post. 34 years...a very long pain for those related to the victims. I haven't got a chance to see the film, so I can't say my reaction to the film. I've got my prejudice, I've got my short opinion of the short official trailer, but I should be able to see the film and hear the discussion before I can make any judgement. So, I think we do need to see the film and make our decision about the content. If needed, we can make our own version of film on the situation at that time. Yet, the most important thing is to open a communication. It would even be better if those involve in it share their voices. Life is not long enough...34 years gone by...God is not blind, why don't we make way to forgive and be forgiven? It would not be forgotten, but we can make it a good lesson for the future.

2 comments:

Rediningrum Setyarini said...

Sorry in Bahasa... dengan lain kata, sensor-sensor dengan ketakutan bahwa rakyat akan terpengaruh, atau supaya orang jangan berpandangan jelek terhadap suatu institusi atau lembaga itu menutup kemungkinan kita melihat kenyataan dengan lebih jelas atau transparan... Menganggap rakyat bodoh, akan ikut2an dan mudah terpengaruh. Padahal we have thought independently and globally. Itulah gunanya jurnalisme warga. Nice writing. Thanks.

Retty Hakim (a.k.a. Maria Margaretta Vivijanti) said...

Benar Inge, kalau kita tidak bisa belajar dari kesalahan masa lalu maka kejadian itu akan berulang.
Dengan semakin terbukanya komunikasi dengan dunia, kita juga perlu melihat sejarah dengan obyektif (termasuk pihak luar juga perlu melihat alasan kita dengan lebih obyektif). Nasionalisme bukan chauvinisme, mari kita belajar berdialog dengan benar...bukan begitu? Terima kasih komentarnya ya...