Tuesday 6 October 2009

Thanks to Teachers


This post is already late (again...oh no...it's so difficult to share a bit of those precious time to write something here)...but I would really like to say thank you to my teachers. They are all in their different characters were forming who I am today.

I remember my Biology teacher in Junior High School, Ibu Suryo. She was the one who taught me about the living creatures in those dirty water. I remember how I loved to come to her lab. Then she was also the one who accompanied us, the Junior Red Cross members, to face the world. I knew at least three friends from my grade's year who became doctors. I am not! But I always love the environmental studies.

Then another teacher that ring a bell is Ibu Murni. She was my Physics teacher. I would never forget the term astigmatism because of her. She answered my curiosity with a clear explanation outside the classroom, and it was just stick on my brain until today.

I think I will never forget Ibu Vero, the one who taught History in my Junior High School. She is a little bit "antique" but her special notes were helping me in remembering those "hard to remember dates and years". I don't know was I interested in History first or she made me into it...Perhaps both ways.

In Senior High School I remember Pak Ibnu the most. I was never his clever student, perhaps I could be labeled his dumbest student. His subject is Chemistry, and I was never able to understand the importance of all those calculation (and neither could I count it the right way...) Yet, despite my being the "dumbest" student in Chemistry class (and still being able to play in his classes...I remember all those "missing shoes". We used to make someone shoes disappeared just when she needed it to go to the blackboard ), Pak Ibnu never show his anger to any of us. He was even being nice by giving at least some score for just copying those chemistry problems from the blackboard on my test paper...without any answer at all... I will never forget him as he was also backing me up when I was supposed to fail the graduation because of my Chemistry subject. As a student who had chosen Science as my major, I should have a better grade in Chemistry. I was lucky enough because my score from the national examination get a score of 7 while the average of students got only 4. Using the average score of the national examination and my score at school would not give me a passing score. One teacher revealed that Pak Ibnu was defending me as he said that he knew I would not choose any University with Chemistry subject as my major... I prayed for him when I heard that he had passed away.

I also remember a French teacher from my short experience of studying French language as a first grader. I don't remember her name, she taught me for the first semester before I've got to choose Science as my major. As a student of Science class I got German language. Being interested in French (as it was fun in her class) I came to CCF to study the language. Now, I forgot all those three years of studying German language, and become more adaptable to hear French conversations.

I think there are a lot of memories coming from my teachers. Actually each teachers had their own marks on my life and my perspectives.

My teachers from the elementary school had marking the outline of my future, then those from the Junior and Senior High School had put colors into it. The lecturer from the University had given other hues, so did all those mentors in my real life. Of course I should not forget the first teachers who came into my life...my parents.

They share me their experiences in life, and also providing me all those kind and wonderful teachers. I think I'll share more stories about teachers in other postings to come.

8 comments:

mississauga said...

Walking down the memory lane, I remember dearly the names you mentioned. With all their strength and limitations, they have been part of who we are now. May God bless them all.

Retty Hakim (a.k.a. Maria Margaretta Vivijanti) said...

Yeach, actually the names mentioned here are just the few names from all the sweet memories of school days. I've never imagine how hard it was until I've learned my lesson with my own boys...

Being a teacher, especially being an educator (not only to teach but to educate) is not as easy as it looked like. Being wise, cool, and full of empathy is some times easier to desire and imagine than to act out...

Qoenang-Qoenang said...

It is really good posting.. Apakah ada yang kejar2 dateline posting di blog sendiri? :D Being a teacher, especially for being an educator means willing to be a role model too, Kak Retty... That's why it seems hard to be...

Retty Hakim (a.k.a. Maria Margaretta Vivijanti) said...

Thanks Inge...

This post is crated to join voices with other bloggers from Bloggers Unite to appreciate teachers on the International Teachers' Day October 5...so it was supposed to be published a day earlier...

ikkyu_san said...

Pak Ibnnnnnn, I was also the dumbest in chemist!
And the France teacher, she is so cantik! dengan gigi gingsulnya hahahaha.

Anyhow, I am so glad that I found someone in oru almater who like to write. BUT... pakai English sih, I prefer Japanese than English though :D

EM

Retty Hakim (a.k.a. Maria Margaretta Vivijanti) said...

hahaha ikkyu_san itu kamu toh...
Aku nggak bisa bahasa Jepang sih, apalagi huruf keritingnya. Sebenarnya lebih enak pakai bahasa Indonesia, tapi karena berangkat dari jurnalisme warga target pembacaku yang berbahasa Inggris (dan aku belum percaya hasil terjemahan google, orang suntingan editor saja terkadang bisa menggeser arti...).

murni said...

Bagus! Tanda mensyukuri hidup yg menyejukkan hati yg dituangkan dalam tulisan. Senang bisa ikut membacanya. Terimakasih Retty.

Retty Hakim (a.k.a. Maria Margaretta Vivijanti) said...

Senangnya ketemu Ibu Murni walau di dunia maya...blognya diisi terus Bu. Blog ini berangkat dari semangat berbagi.