Wednesday 25 July 2007

Ngontrak di Tanah Sendiri

While I became more and more Jakartanese, I was not blinded that the native Jakartans feel that they are renting a place in their own land. I used to live among native Betawi before moving to Serpong. Eventhough I should consider myself as a resident of Banten, I still answered "Jakarta" when asked by foreigners where do I live.

Reading the article in Kompas made me think of fellow Papuans who wrote for wikimu.com. I also think of Dayak people, and the whole Indonesian peoples. The globalization is opening a door to outsiders to come in. While I am (sometimes) still considered as outsiders (too) in the eyes of some Indonesians because of my racial back ground, I know that the answer lies in the chance for education. Economic back ground became important when the chance for good education is limited only for those who can pay for it. It is time for the government to think seriously and try even harder to provide free education for Indonesian children without any discrimination.

No comments: