Wednesday 22 January 2020

Nora Suryanti (Soh Lian Tjie) puzzle 8

On the roads for exhibitions

I stayed at the Bellevue, Bogor, next to the building where I had to set up my exhibition. A young Indonesian came and offered his help. When he heard that I was to go on to Bandung, he asked whether he could go with me. When I agreed, he was really thankful to have found a job. Soon, he was able to work with the sticks to put up all the photographs. Even though Bogor was very quiet at that time, but there was no lack of interest!

After Bogor, we went to Bandung by bus. The exhibition was held in the office of the Regent of Bandung at the alun-alun.

On the last day of my stay, something terrible happened! My things were all packed and sent to the station for Semarang. My new assistant wanted to join me in Semarang too. Yet, I had no idea how it would work there. I would have a Mr Inkiriwang of the Ministry of Information from the State of Central Java to be my assistant in Semarang. I could only give him something extra, but I had to leave him behind.

Hardly had I reached the Savoy Homann Hotel when I saw people running into all directions. There were shots. The Angkatan Perang Ratu Adil (APRA) under the notorious Captain Westerling started some actions. Luckily, it was soon under control. I went out for a stroll in front of the hotel to see what was really happened. Then, some people warned me that there was a curfew. I could only hasten back to the hotel. How lucky that I was able to leave Bandung early the following day! Once again on the train, this time the destination was Semarang.

The only reasonable hotel at Semarang was Hotel du Pavilion. It had big rooms and was favourably situated. In the afternoon Mr Inkiriwang came to see me. We went to the station to check on my exhibits. They had not yet arrived. They should be installed in the Pendopo for the exhibition as soon as they arrived.

A cousin of mine saw me on the street that evening. She came with her husband and children to the hotel on the chance that I might be staying there. I was very happy to see them again. Years ago, before the war, together with her younger sister and relatives, she visited my family in Makassar. My father was already passed away. At that time, they were going to Toraja Highland and invited me to join them. I was really eager to join their journey as I had never been there. Yet, I had my school.

It was a great pleasure to meet my relatives after so many years of not meeting them. She asked me to go to Tegal for a day journey. My grandfather came from Tegal. I would love to see that town and my other relatives. So, I arranged with Mr Inkiriwang that I should take the Sunday off. That nice man was willing to take over my duty for that one day.

I enjoyed the trip wholeheartedly. To see Tegal again where I had so many relatives. But, there were many changes! My aunt had passed away. The cousins who used to spend their holidays with me when I was studying in Jakarta had also moved to Semarang. My eldest cousin had married and had one daughter. Her younger sister had passed away.

I was so grateful that my dear mother had pushed my poor father to send me to study in Jakarta. Despite our impoverished state, she made sure that I was able to get a good education in Jakarta. Now, being independent with an interesting job, I could only thank her with great gratitude in my heart. Amma Saga, the seer, had revealed a great secret to my Mother and I. And my mother had believed her!

After Semarang, I was going to Yogyakarta, the famous capital of the Republic of Indonesia. My heart was beating fast! How would it be? Mr Inkiriwang accompanied me, but from the Ministry of Information, I had a Mr Muljono to render me the necessary assistance in Yogya. He was very kind and helpful. We got rooms in the Hotel Merdeka. Nice spacious rooms at the very beginning of the Malioboro!

A strange feeling came as I realized that this was the territory of the Republic of Indonesia. But, everything was the same as before. Only some new houses seemed to be added. Hotel Merdeka, what else? The new parliament building and the Statue of General Soedirman were new. The Governor's residence was now the Gedung Agung. Yet, in spite of the few artificial changes, I had no awkward feeling.

"It is Indonesia! Only this part is entirely free and sovereign under the Indonesian leadership. The official language is Bahasa Indonesia. The time will soon come when the whole archipelago will be under the Indonesian leadership. The handful of Dutch people who tried to influence the so-called Federal States of East Indonesia, East Java, Central Java, East Sumatera, will soon have to leave this country," I convinced myself.

I admired the officials! Living under very difficult circumstances they still seemed to be cheerful and full of hope. They were fortunate to be in this area when the revolution broke out and the republic was proclaimed. They automatically joined the Republic! Those who were outside the island did not have that opportunity and thus were obliged to join forces with the Dutch, even though they had never had the desire to work for them. We had only our own country and people in mind. Each of us worked separately for the respective part of Indonesia that we happened to be in at the time. If we had in our minds that lofty ideal of being united, each part would fit in the whole pattern.

Once again, I had no mind at all for political analysis. I just followed my own feelings, simple and intuitive. I had no basic training to participate in political discussions. I can say, however, that I did not feel like an alien during the week that I was in Yogyakarta. Mr Assaad had shown himself to be a man of great understanding and wisdom. He honoured our exhibition with his presence!

No comments: