Friday 17 January 2020

Nora Suryanti (Soh Lian Tjie) puzzle 3


One evening, we got the order to leave a little lamp burning outside our camp. The enemy was approaching. A large Red Cross Flag was spread in an open field. There was a striking and frightening silence. We went to bed with anxiety.

We got up early in the morning only to find out some Japanese soldiers in our camp. Our commander, Dr. Tinbergen de Moulin was tied to a tree and beaten. We, the civil nurses and other staff of the Camp had to stand nearby and watched this inhumane scene. So, this was part of the war!

In the course of the day, together with other nurses, I was driven to a shed. We had to sit down on the ground. Just sat down. We should do nothing! How tedious! It made us very...very tired!

The Japanese soldiers who had to guard the Camp sometimes approached us. Invariably they asked us, “Minahasa ka? Indonesia ka?” It seemed that the Minahassan people were in favour with them.

The whole day long we just sat there, without food or drink. Only when the sun was about to set down that we were allowed to return to the hospital. I was unexpectedly appointed to prepare food in our kitchen. Of course, I refused to go alone, so four other ladies were allowed to assist me. I could barely hold my tears when I entered the kitchen. Our once so neatly arranged kitchen was at sixes and sevens! Margarine containers were opened, the tins of sweetened fruits were thrown everywhere. I cried in my heart, “Those barbarians!” They did not know these products and were afraid that they contained poison. My heart was still crying for our precious yet wasted food.

Some drivers followed us. They offered their services as cooks. We gratefully accepted their kind offer and we went back to the hospital. I do not know what happened further as none of us saw any food that evening.

We went to bed fully dressed. Several times we were startled as some flashlight was centred on our faces. Some haggard-looking Japanese soldiers wanted to see us even in our sleep. Fortunately, no incident occurred.

The following day, we asked permission to cook in the hospital kitchen. We got rice and salted fish for breakfast. I went to collect the fish heads, then picked some chillies and wild spinach that grow in abundance outside the hospital. I made a kind of vegetable soup flavoured with the fish heads. The surgeon in charge of the hospital thanked me for my initiative. They all need fresh vegetables.

After a week, all patients and the nurses were transported to Makassar. We, the civil nurses, were to assist in the army hospital in Makassar. It turned out that wounded soldiers, sailors and pilots of the Allied Forces had been brought in. This was my very first contact with war casualties. I pitied those young men and tried to be as helpful as possible.

Yet, the war did not end so soon. We, the civilian nurses, were dismissed. The European ladies were taken to Malino, a mountain resort serving as an internment camp. I was free, but I did not know what to do. My school was closed and I had nowhere to live. A teacher offered to put me up for the time being.

Soon the Japanese set up a sort of civil administration under the supervision of Japanese high officials. Celebes came under the Kaigun, the Navy. The Minseibu was the civil administrative office, headed by a Minseibucho. The whole convent of Roman Catholic nuns was occupied by Minseibu. Next to the Japanese officials, there was also a staff of Indonesians. I was fortunate enough to come into contact with Dr. J.S. Warouw, a highly gifted man from Manado. Under his capable guidance we did our work.

It is certainly very wrong to call us “collaborators”. Yes, seemingly we collaborated. But, in reality, we were doing our best to help our own people. Our salary was nothing, but sometimes we could obtain a whole “picul” of rice which we were able to distribute among various friends. Soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, sugar were scarce, but kind-hearted Japanese friends gave us some every now and then.

It was not long before I had mastered the Japanese language sufficiently to teach my other colleagues. In this way, the Japanese did not treat us so haughtily anymore. Whenever we had the chance we used the Japanese language.

At first, life went on as usual, though after dark there was no social activity at all. Lamps were dimmed. We, women, had to be very careful as many Japanese servicemen roamed the deserted street and tried to enter some houses. Every now and then, on hearing the siren alarmed, we had to hide in the shelters.

I had to translate all the health regulations from Dutch into English. It was very instructive for me. I got more practice in first aid. From the faces of the Japanese soldiers, we guessed that the course of the war was not very favourable for them.

One fine day, around 11 a.m. when all activities in the city were in full swing, especially in the harbour, four allied bombers flew over Makassar. The sirens whistled instantly, followed by a heavy voice of explosion. Within minutes, we were ordered to go to the spot that had been hit in the harbour district. We saw the wounded and attended their wounds as best as we could. All of a sudden the planes returned and we fled to seek shelter.

The harbour district was bordered by the Chinese Quarter.  There were no gardens at all. Some two or three-story houses packed closely, leaving us no hiding space. Luckily, we found an empty open front verandah. Dr Warouw, two other colleagues and I laid down on our stomachs. I saw an elderly woman sheltered not far from us. Her whole body trembled while she was crying out loud her pray in a hysterical voice.

This time the planes dropped no bombs.

No comments: