Monday 3 February 2020

Nora Suryanti (Soh Lian Tjie) puzzle 10

One Country, One Nation, One Language

The Republic of Indonesia demanded One Country, One Nation, One Language. Conferences were held, one after the other; the Malino Conference, the Linggarjati, and at long last... the Round Table Conference in the Hague, which ended with the transfer of sovereignty to the Republic of Indonesia in 1949!

At long last, President Soekarno was able to move to Jakarta and occupied the former Palace of the Governor of the Dutch East Indies!

It was a day never to be forgotten! Sri Sultan Hamengkubuwono IX went to the Kemayoran Airport to greet President Soekarno. The President, Madame Fatmawati - the first lady, and their entourage, were arriving on the first plane of Garuda Indonesian Airways.

I felt most fortunate to be in the Merdeka Palace on that memorable and historic day! I was able to stand face to face with important persons like Sjahrir and Moch Yamin. Those two names were the names that I most remembered from that day. Sjahrir was so young, buoyant, and full of energy. Moch Yamin, the dynamic writer, who came with his original idea to change several names into Bahasa Indonesia; Samudera Indonesia for the Indian Ocean, Nusa Tenggara for the Lesser Sunda Islands, Kalimantan for Indonesian Borneo, etc.

I was greatly indebted to Mr Parada Harahap, the mentor of the Indonesian journalists at that time. I happened to be staying with his family in Jakarta. He was the one who took me to Merdeka Palace on the 27th of December 1949.

I looked back to the tired but happy face of Mr Yamin. He was seated in a comfortable upholstered armchair. The happy faces were seen all around, full of expectations with the first President of Indonesia taking possession of age-old Palace!

Ten of thousands of people filled the Merdeka Square (formerly Koningsplein - the King's square). A billow of cries, "Merdeka...Merdeka!" sounded again and again when the President's car was sighted. The number plate for the President of Indonesia is 1!

I tried to get a glimpse of the First Citizen of the Republic of Indonesia. But, alas, there were so many important guests! I did not have the chance!

Soon, President Soekarno and Madame Fatmawti were in line to receive the sincere well wishes from the thousands of guests! I, too, was in the long...long queue. When it was my turn, I could hardly bring out, "Selamat Bapak Presiden", "Selamat Ibu!" The crystal clear words "Terima kasih banyak," were still ringing in my ears. Both the President and the first lady looked brilliantly happy!

It was the greatest moment of my life.







No comments: